Monday, March 16, 2009

When the Sandbar isn't There...

We were at the beach today hitting the waves, having a tremendous time if I say so myself. We went out so far though that the waves were almost unbearable.

Steven had been there several times before and was puzzled why we hadn't come across the sandbar already. I was unsure what a sandbar was. After asking, I came to find out that a sandbar is a piece of land about a quarter of a mile out from the shore that is similar to the shoreline in that it is a shallow area but it is in the midst of the waves.

Later I was laying on the beach looking up at the clouds as they so cleverly veiled the sun from all possible view. I thought about the situation and thought, Wow, we really could've almost died out there. Too bad that sandbar wasn't there. Suddenly, I realized how that the currents in the water could've brought down the sandbar over time, even though Steven had already conquered the sandbar countless occassions before.

A thought came across my mind: we oftentimes have our own sandbars in our lives that we become dependent upon over time. Only we don't call it a sandbar. We usually end up knowing that it's there, but we never really call it anything. It's what some would refer to as their "safety net." You know, that place that you can always fall back on when things are getting rough? Yeah. That thing.  We seldom stop to think for a minute about that safety net.  It becomes a convenience a lot of times.  We have something that is warring against us and so we fall back upon that safety net, or that sandbar because it has that higher ground for us to stand on.

But what if that sandbar isn't there?  What if your problems arise again to face you like the waves of the ocean and you don't have that higher ground to stand on?  Of course, my first reaction, much like Steven's, would be confusion.  I would not know what to do.  My next course of action would be to continue struggling against the waves in hopes of finding that sandbar.  And in that very instant a realization to myself is made: I've continued battling my struggle so much just to find that sandbar that I realized I didn't need the sandbar anymore.  I've already grown strong enough to face my struggles.  The sandbar is no longer needed.

Parallel to our spiritual lives, we each have our own sandbar.  It's always been there for us when we expected it to be...but when the sandbar isn't there, trust in the only One who can bring you through it.  You may realize that He is wanting you to grow beyond the need of the sandbar.

If I had a prayer to pray tonight it would be this: I hope I someday grow beyond the necessity of the sandbar.  I want to grow to go deeper with Christ.  My prayer would be that everyone grows alongside each other, that we could all come to know that deeper level with Him.  As always, I pray daily for a blessing to come to everyone on the List. Thank you again for being so good to me...

Sincerely,
Gabe Easter

1 comment:

  1. My Sandbar: The dark faces, the dusty streets, the loud music, the unusual food, the pink bedroom with all the quotes written on the wall at number 18 Forest Avenue.

    My Jesus: The strength to stand when I don't have any and what I'm really landing on when I hit rock bottom.

    My Gabe: A lifesaver. Tossed out to my frantic hands in the nick of time. Loved and appreciated. A lot.

    ReplyDelete